Thursday, October 27, 2005

Number

I love this time of year. Autumn, Fall, whatever you want to call it. The leaves turn colors, there's a chill in the air that puts me in mind of pumpkins, turkey, mulled cider. This time of year, I'm a sucker for themed foods. Take coffee, for example. Normally I turn my nose up at flavored coffees. Vanilla hazelnut coffee? No thank you. No thank you very much. Stuff tastes like butt. Vanilla hazelnut flavored butt, but butt nonetheless. The problem is they use lousy coffee and then add a crappy flavor to it. No surprise it tastes that way.

Anyway, even I cannot pass up the pumpkin spice flavored coffee this time of year. I buy it in cafes when it's offered, and I just bought a pound of it at the store. I love that pumpkin spice flavor, which is applied to the coffee beans in the form of an oily substance, which causes the beans to glisten in an appealing manner. It also causes the grounds to stick to the side of my grinder in an unappealing manner.

Of course, the coffee still tastes like butt. Pumpkin spice butt, mmmm, Autumn even makes butt taste good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so does this have something to do with "number"? or is it a red herring?
by the way, i'm not a fan of the darryl stuff, you get too goofy-existential when he's invoked. just my two cents.

Anonymous said...

So does this flavor-mania apply only to the flavored beans themselves, or are you also drawn to, say, the Starbucks Gingerbread Latte?

Eric said...

There's definitely something to the word, if nothing more than a self of smugness. And I am drawn to the gingerbread part of the gingerbread latte. Not drawn enough to overcome my fear of the assfire that lattes bring me. assfire.

Anonymous said...

I <3 gingerbread lattes! they are very high-cal though. :( probably not in keeping with my new diet.
i still don't get the "number" thing, smug or no.

Anonymous said...

oops, i didn't mean for that to be anonymous!