Thursday, November 17, 2005

Deprecate

Two years since I've been a serious programmer. In the interim, I've done some toy programming, a little perl grease for the wheels of an otherwise working website for example. But no real programming, no real projects. Such is life when you're writing your dissertation. Anyway, I dusted off my Java IDE today, got the latest version of everything, and was ready to dive in to my latest idea.

I should have looked before I dove in. I nearly broke my neck on all the new stuff. I mean, aspects, annotations, generics, unit testing, oh my. Back when I started my graduate student career I did not understand how my advisor could become so behind the times (she has a Ph.D. in computer science from MIT, and shared an office with RMS, surely she'd never let her coding skills slip, right?). But now I understand. I'm going to let myself go. This next generation of my ideas will likely be implemented by someone else, a snot-nosed know it all, I hope. One that will never understand how I could let my skills lapse.

But that's the circle of life. Right up until I eat that know it all for being a little too snide. Then it's more of, say, an ellipse of life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other day I went to write a shell script. Nothing major, just something to automate converting Ogg-Vorbis to mp3. I fired up gvim, typed "#!/usr/bin/sh" and then froze. For the life of me I couldn't remember the correct syntax. I've only been away from shell scripting for six months and already it's leaking out of my head.

Of course, I have a mind like a steel sieve, but I wasn't expecting the holes in the sieve to be quite so large and effective. Makes me wonder what else has slipped out of my mind when I wasn't looking.

Anonymous said...

Still a snot-nosed CS undergraduate here. I even got a button at a science-fiction convention to express my frustration: "It's OK to re-invent the wheel, but I hate hearing people argue about how many corners it should have."

Thanks for the post; it opened my eyes to exactly how little computer science academics get to program. It makes me wonder why bother? But I guess some CS people don't really like to program in the first place.

Ethan