Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Metapost: Londinium

First of all, new post is here, don't miss it just because this metapost sat on top of it. But second of all....

Okay, so I feel a little weak naming the city where the action occurs "Londinium". I had some issues with the name, as I have issues with all names. The fundamental image I was trying to convey is: It's a Major City, It's different from Cities we know, It's largely western european but with other influences (Konichiwa, Mitsunori-san). Any other suggestions? I've got a chapter-thingy that I'm planning on centering in Shanghai (or the like), also.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked it, but it made me want to look up what Londinium was and find out where I'd heard of it before.

Here are some from-the-hip suggestions on coming up with names that suggest two cultures.

You could try sticking together word-parts from different languages. For instance: New Beijing. Or Xin Berlin. (I have a fondness for names of the form: "New" + Well-Known-City-Name.) Nouvelle Tokyo?

Shanghai means "on the sea", so you could try something like Banlieue-a-la-Mer ("district on the sea", except you should get someone who actually knows French to translate it). Ville de Ouest-Shanghai?

You could also use foreign names for cities (exonyms), but I think they'll pass over the heads of most of your readers. "Niu Yue Shi" is not immediately meaningful as "New York City" in Chinese.

I think your best bet is to combine names. You could also talk about being in, say, the Qing neighborhood of Londinium, or something.

Hope this helps. I love reading your writing, you rock!

Ethan

Unknown said...

Londinium is used by Trinity Blood on Cartoon network. Still a good name though. Feels like New London where everyone has robots that do all the work for them. What about Wilminium?