Friday, May 14, 2004

Hypothesis

A moment of disorientation, then I look around. I am at my old apartment, it must be tuesday, flashback day. I'm sitting in Darryl's room, on the edge of his bed. Not really a bed, it is just a mattress on the floor. Queen sized though. Darryl has this big television, thirty inches at least, and it is always on. Usually some movie channel, with the volume turned down. Darryl looks at me and says:

"Hypothesis one is that Love exists, and lifts us above our mortal selves. You could flavor the idea with the Divine, perhaps toss in God if you wish." Darryl is stoned, worse yet, he will one day steal from me to buy crack. But this is before all that, for now he's just some kooky roommate of mine. "Hypothesis two is that all is selfishness. We love each other in order to feel good, and you're addicted to the feeling you get when you make someone else smile."

I look Darryl in the eye and ask: "Can you tell the two hypotheses apart? Both would explain the way I'm feeling, which one is true?"

Darryl nods off for a moment, I think he's lost the thread of conversation. But then: "Truth is for philosophers. What matters is what you believe."

I believe in hypothesis one, but it has always bugged me that I can't think of a way to disprove hypothesis two, even about myself.

No comments: