Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Simulate

I'm sure it has happened to everyone. You meet someone new, and immediately think, "This person really reminds me of my old friend so-and-so." It happened just the other day to me at a party. The catch this time was that my old friend so-and-so was also at the party. So, did my new and old friends meet? Yes. Did they notice that they were cast from the same mold? I don't know, didn't ask. But consider. You've probably met someone in your life that reminded other people of you. Did you notice, or did the mirror have someone else in it? This also happened to me, late one night at the bar, drinking beers and (quite literally) talking epistemology with fellow grad students, I'm struck by the sudden strong feeling that this guy I'm talking to is really me. It can be quite disconcerting.

No comments: